Sunday, July 01, 2007

Last minute lists

I'm out of India in 10 days. People keep calling to wish me or meet me once before I go. My departure keeps coming up in every conversation. But strangely, I don't feel I'm going anywhere at all. I definitely don't feel I'm going "back to school" because right now I'm just going on a 2-week holiday. This inertia is something I've never felt before and I'm sure it's not going to help me get acclimatized to school quickly. I keep telling myself this is because I don't know what to expect in the next few months and I'm just a little reluctant to let go of all the familiarity. But I'm not really convinced with my own excuses.

Moving on to less uncertain things... Now I think I know what are the things I need to pack and what are the other miscellaneous things I need to wrap up before I go. I will put down the list here for people who might find some use for it over the next 2 months or so...

Packing List:
I'm listing out just the categories of items. The specific things in each catergory varies from person to person and may be very different depending on where you are traveling from. A little googling can find you many really extensive packing lists.
  • Documents (Education, B-school related, work related, medical prescriptions and health history, travel related, financial documents, insurance, driving license with international permit. Ensure that documents needed during travel are easily accessible )
  • Photographs (in standard sizes and the negative/soft copy for later use)
  • Money (Cash, Travelers' checks, credit cards)
  • Important phone numbers and addresses
  • Medicines (with prescription)
  • Clothes
  • Prescription Spectacles/contact lenses (carry a spare)
  • Toiletry (just for a month till you know your way around the new place)
  • Footwear
  • Accessories (bags, watches, belts, jewelery, goggles etc.)
  • Books
  • CDs, DVDs (that you absolutely must carry)
  • Gifts (if any)
  • Food items (this is specific to Indians)
  • Utensils (mainly cooker and tawa, this again is specific to Indians)
  • Backpacks/briefcases etc.

Things to wrap up before leaving:
  • Change of address wherever applicable
  • Car driving license with international permit
  • Eye, dental and general health check up, immunization shots
  • Closing of back accounts/credit cards/other subscriptions
  • Leave signed checks, signed empty sheets of paper etc. at home for emergencies (this might be specific to Indians)
  • Leave copies of all documents at home
  • Buy travel insurance if needed
  • Change money
  • Reconfirm flight(s)/seats/on-board meal selection
  • Weigh luggage to ensure you are within the limit or make plans to pay for additional baggage
  • If someone is receiving you call the person and reconfirm flight timing. If not make plans for transit from airport to apartment/hotel/wherever
I might have forgotten some things. So I will add to these lists as and when I come across something I've missed.